Convert .GHO to .VDI for use in Virtualbox in Win7
We created a Win7 ghost image in July last year which I was using to roll out to machines directly. Recently I wanted to have a Virtual copy of this image so I could snapshot it before installing some new software to test and quickly get back to my prior state from my workstation. While we use VMware ESXi for the servers I don't have a copy of VMware workstation and I've been using Virtualbox for years and am more familiar with that.
I have a bunch of old Ghost images and I know someday someone is going to ask me to restore one for some reason or another so I wrote down what I did just in case.
- in diskmgmt.msc create a new VHD set to a suitable size saved at D:\tempdisk.vhd
- Initiate it (right click in Disk Management)
- Run the DOS version of ghost32.exe and create new disk from image
- Select the source of the GHO file and the destination of the VHD
- Convert the .vhd file to .vdi:
"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" clonehd "D:\tempdisk.vhd" D:\Sysprep-Win7-7-11-2017-final.vdi --format vdi